Sunday, April 1, 2012

XRCC2

Do you know the secret handshake that tells you what this is? Hmmm.... I'm not sure if I can tell you. Do you have the clearance? Pinky swear you are okay to know?

Its another breast cancer gene that was recently discovered by Australian researchers. This is very important. The BRCA genes only account for 10-20% of all breast cancer diagnoses. Another gene may not account for as many but it is the next step in discovering more genetic mutations which lead to breast cancer and other cancers.

The significance of this breakthrough is due to the latest type of gene sequencing - called 'massively parallel technology'. Now that's a mouthful. But if it works and creates progress, I don't care how many big words they use.

I also hope that with the discovery of another gene, Myriad Genetics, which thinks they 'own' the BRCA genes, will
lose their ability to 'keep' their gene.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...