Friday, June 15, 2012

Let's rule the world

As of 2012, there are 13.5 million Americans with a history of cancer. That number is now expected to grow to 18 million by 2022. This is seen as a potential problem due to our health problems as a result of cancer treatment - chemo brain (a/k/a cognitive deficit), blood disorders, cardiovascular problems, muscle pain - and the emotional issues caused by the stress of fear of a recurrence.

I don't see this as a problem. I see it as progress. Fewer of us are dying. People who are alive are not a problem in any way, shape or form. (Unless they are an annoying sibling.)

Anyway, I think we should rule the world. Why not? Just because we had cancer doesn't mean we are incompetent.

We would change health care to eliminate all pre-existing condition issues. We would create laws that allow paid time off while in treatment. We would make discrimination against cancer people against the law - you know those people who think you are contagious and run away at the sight of you? We could have beauty contests to show off surgical scars. We could make special parking spots for cancer people  in treatment so we could get the good spots, next to the handicapped ones. Once you get cancer, you get free medical care for life. (Ooh. I like that one.)

This could be good. We could start the Cancer Party to run against the Democrats, Republicans, Green Party, Libertarians, and Tea Party. Our focus could be cancer prevention, care and research. Cancer research would be fully funded.

But wait, we have chemo brain, could we remember anything long enough to rule the world?

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...