Sunday, June 17, 2012

Life with cancer

Here's some food for thought. Most thyroid cancer patients should expect the same life expectancy as the rest of the population. Now they tell us. I could have used that little tidbit 30 years ago thank you. It would have been appreciated. But with thyroid cancer comes a lifetime of vigilance as it has been known to recur decades later and you have life without a thyroid which comes with its own little ups and downs.

Another little tidbit is that five year survival rates are 90% for women with early stage breast cancer. A nice little factoid to see but what annoys me is that the Komen foundation for the cure is trying to take credit for it. I received an email from them (asking for money again) that said:

"Thanks to donations from others like you, the research advances funded by Susan G. Komen for the Cure® have helped extend the 5-year breast cancer survival rate to 90%!"

To compare this is what Avon said in their email to me:

"2012 marks the 20-year milestone of the Avon Breast Cancer Crusade and the 10th birthday of the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer event series. Over the past 20 years, we've made great progress globally, funding breast cancer research and improving access to care."

I don't know. The Komen email just annoys me with their wording. 

But anyway, I am happy to hear the survival rates have greatly increased and my life expectancy is not impacted by thyroid cancer. 

1 comment:

alternative cancer treatment center said...

A life with cancer is never easy. I appreciate the way you have inspired me and touch my life by sharing your blog. Enjoyed this so much, thanks for sharing!

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...