Monday, July 30, 2012

The 'poor me' attitude

With all my ailments (but I really am a healthy person) sometimes its hard to avoid the 'poor me' attitude. I hate using all those words like surviving, battling, fighting, blah, blah, blah. But some days nothing goes right. There can be one of those fun medical adventures with the wrong results or something new decides to crop up or return or I simply get up on the wrong side of the bed so to speak. (Which one is the right side and which is the wrong side - I have never really understood that one).

Anyway some days its hard not to get dragged down into the 'poor me' crap. I do not use the oh-so-insensitive terms of survivor or warrior or whatever. I am a person living with cancer and a bunch of other medical ailments.

This poor me business can also be helped along by the 'well intention but clueless' who ask things like 'and how are you feeling today?' or 'what does your doctor say now - are there any new treatments?' or 'I would have thought they would have cleared that up by now' or 'will that never resolve on its own?' I try to avoid those people.

I know people mean well but sometimes they really do not understand at all. I have many things which cannot be fixed - lymphedema, back pain, bursitis, two cancer diagnoses - that I am stuck with so you don't need to remind me thank you. Your poor attitude is infringing on my life. May be its 'poor you' instead.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...