Friday, September 7, 2012

New BRCA tests

New BRCA tests have been developed that are faster and less expensive than the ones done by Myriad Genetics. I think this is great news. Myriad has claimed they patented the BRCA genes but these new tests were developed in Canada so maybe they escaped the long arm of the law.

I had blogged about this before and Myriad was still waiting for a final ruling on their patent. The Supreme Court had thrown it out because they said the laws of nature can't be patented.  This I agree with. Now that a second test has been developed on the genes it reinforces this idea that the genes shouldn't be patented. How could it be that a single company could have power over women needing this test? This is where laws need to catch up with technology.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...