Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Holy moley!

Moles can predict breast cancer risk? So can living under a rock apparently (because of the radon). But seriously it turns out that moles can predict breast cancer risk because they have the same hormonal sensitivities (is that the right word? I don't know but it makes sense to me) as breast cancer. And that is also true for stomach cancer.

The study found that women with more moles had higher levels of estrogen in their blood than women with fewer. And since estrogen fuels many breast cancers, there is a higher risk present. Sounds logical? Okay sure.

So now we can add having moles to the risks of developing breast cancer. We will just have to add this to the list of things we cannot do anything about  such as genetics, having children, age, and family history. There is nothing we can do but be more at risk. How helpful. Not really.

But I will still get annual skin checks for skin cancer.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...