Thursday, December 10, 2015

Support Group Please!

I have been a long time fan of support groups, well only since my second cancer diagnosis. Before that, I thought they were for 'old people'. Now I do not consider myself old, but I have learned the benefits of discussing issues with your peers who understand how you feel.

I used to belong to a breast cancer support group which I attended for several years. It still meets monthly in the evenings but I don't do evening anything anymore.

I also used to attend a new patient breast cancer support group when I was first diagnosed and I still call the members friends and we still get together when we can and are in touch regularly.

Recently I have been trying a fibromyalgia support group. So far, my jury is still out. Yesterday was a decent meeting as the attendees actually participated. But one of the people who participated was trying it out and I am not sure she will return.

I have heard of a chronic illness support group that I might try. It really depends on what kinds of chronic illnesses are there and what the participants are like.

There is a post treatment breast cancer support group I might try in January. But it is my understanding that most of the attendees are much closer to the end of their treatment so I am not sure how that would work.

And there is a chronic pain support group which meets monthly that I attended once three years ago. I plan to attend again on this Friday. I'll have to see how that goes too.

Support groups are like dating - what a horrible analog but its true. You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find the prince. I feel as part of taking better care of me, I would like to find a group of people where we can talk about issues with dealing with multiple medical issues. There are many people like me with medical issues but finding ones to talk to can be harder. I was offered the opportunity to start a knitting group at a cancer support center. That may be a solution.

I'll keep trying. But I need to get through moving first.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...