Monday, February 13, 2017

Exercise, or Reducing AI's Side Effects

All of us 'lucky' people with hormone positive breast cancer, get the 'benefit' of being able to take hormone therapy or aromatase inhibitors (AIs) such as Femara, Aromasin, etc. These lovely little pills potentially reduce your risk of breast cancer recurrence (that most dreaded of all possibilities).

However these aforementioned lovely little pills cause nice side effects such as bone loss and joint pain. I have friends who had to discontinue AIs because of these side effects. They can be THAT bad.

So a new research study (because we always need more research) has come up with a cure for these issues: Exercise. Parts of me says this is just another reason they want us to exercise. But in this case apparently it really helped women in dealing with the side effects.

Guess what the suggested exercise is: 150 minutes a week of aerobic and resistance exercise. That is the same amount that is suggested for every one for every issue.

I do more than that each week. I do about 180 minutes of cardio and then another 120 minutes of resistance exercise. I have joint pain and osteopenia (the precursor to osteoporosis). I think I would be in horrible shape if I didn't exercise.

I guess this study results in the same message we get all the time: exercise.


No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...