Thursday, September 21, 2017

Complications After Cancer Linger

My least favorite phrase is 'with your medical history we need to be sure'. I have been hearing it since my first cancer diagnosis. Even though my two cancers, thyroid and breast, are not what are considered the most horrible kinds, they both could recur and kill me anytime they want.

What it has meant over the year is that I have always been sent for more tests than anyone else. I need more blood tests and scans than anyone else. Now as I have developed more ailment such as RA, its harder to treat. One of the costs of my cancer treatment is osteopenia - in a family full of women with osteoporosis, all of a sudden I am much higher risk for it. And the list goes on.

All this makes me cranky and causes many more doctor appointments. My appointment on Tuesday was number 51 for the year. How many of them were for ailments or for side effects or post treatment ailments? I do not want to count. I just hate going to doctors at this point.

After cancer, your life isn't the same. You are going to have more complication related follow ups because of it. You do not get to walk away from cancer. It follows you everywhere, forever.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've donated to Breast Cancer Car Donations (CarDonations4Cancer.org) in the past. They have pretty awesome programs helping those suffering with Breast Cancer who can't afford medical treatment.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...