Thursday, September 14, 2017

Narrow Mindedness

I realize that a lot of academia, where medical research often happens, primarily uses Apple computers - desktops, iPads, and iPhones. However just because they use iPhones doesn't mean anyone else does. Hence the problem.

I received an email recruiting women for a study by the Army of Women on the Relationships among Cognitive Function, Lifestyle, and Exercise after Cancer Treatment (ReFLECT+). I said great. Let me see if I can sign up. I greatly appreciate what the Army of Women does and support them wholly. But I can't believe the narrow mindedness as part of their study.

As they recruit for non-white participants, they gave themselves a big obstacle. Look at who can participate:

You can join the Relationships among Cognitive Function, Lifestyle, and Exercise after Cancer Treatment (ReFLECT+) study if you match ALL of these MAIN categories:
  • You are a woman age 21 or older
  • You have been diagnosed with breast cancer at any time in your life. Women who have not undergone treatment, are currently undergoing treatment, or who have completed treatment are eligible to participate in this study.
  • You have access to an iPhone
  • You live in the United States
  • You self-identify as a racial/ethnic minority such as but not limited to African American, Hispanic/Latina, Asian, American Indian, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander, or more than one race
You have to have an iPhone. I googled this and iPhone usage is around 15% of the country. "However, its market share fell from 14.8% in the first quarter of 2016 to 13.7% last quarter."

So they just limited their research pool to less than 15% of the population. And they wonder why they can't find enough patients to participate. 

And we wonder why medical research costs so much....

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...