Friday, November 17, 2017

Maybe I'm Lying To Myself

I can't tell you how many times I say things like 'I'm fine', 'I didn't sleep well last night', or other creative lies about how I am doing, physically and mentally. Sometimes these are lies, to myself and to those who I am speaking.

Over at The Mighty, which is an awesome website for people with health issues. I only found it recently but immediately signed up for their emails. (That says something in itself because I think I spend more time unsubscribing from email lists than anything else these days.)They say:

"The Mighty is a digital health community created to empower and connect people facing health challenges and disabilities."

I think that criteria might include me. Today's email talked about how people dealing with depression or other mental health challenges by hiding behind some statements about how they really feel. And what they are hiding is that they need help. I do admit to dealing with depression and anxiety. But with my health issues, who wouldn't be depressed and anxious?

So I disagree with their statement that these only apply to those with mental issues but with physical ones as well. I use them all the time. I could add a few such as 'another day not pushing up the daisies'.... Their statements are:
1. “I’m not feeling well.”
2. “Well, I’m alive!”
3. “I didn’t sleep well last night.”
4. “Eh, you know.”
5. “It’s too much.”
6. “I’m exhausted.”
7. “I’m just out of it today.”
8. “I’m fine.”
9. “I’m bored.”
10. “I’m having an ‘off day.’”
11. “I’m hanging in there.”
12. “I’ve been listening to music a lot today.”
13. “I don’t want to be alone.”
14. “I’m all good, don’t worry about it.”
15. “I just can’t today.”


But go read the full article here. And subscribe to The Mighty if you think it might help you too.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...