Sunday, February 14, 2010

Other people's problems

As previously stated, I try not to allow other people's problems to get in the way of my life. I have enough going on in my life that I don't have the time or energy to deal with other's problems. Usually.

Yesterday I went for a walk with a friend and another woman came up to us. She was clearly upset. She said she couldn't tell us much because she didn't want to get us involved but someone had hit her and she wanted us to take pictures of her black and blue eye with her camera. She had tried to take pictures of it herself at home and outside but they didn't come out. We took her pictures and wished her well and suggested she go to the police. We ran into her again in our walk and she seemed a little more sure of herself and thanked us again.

While walking my friend and I were talking and said that while neither of us our perfect and our husbands are not either, we are glad that we are not dealing with any kind of domestic violence such as this woman was.

My problems just seem to be continuing and unescapable. Once you develop chronic health problems, they don't just go away. You can't leave them behind. They continue to grow and snowball. One thing may cause another. You end up taking medications for the side effects of your medication. That is why I stick with dealing my own problems. And I wish the other woman well and hope she can get out of her bad situation before it grows and snowballs.

I don't wish to equivocate domestic violence with cancer or other health problems. Cancer is a lifetime health concern. Domestic violence, while seemingly curable, can be very difficult to remove from one's life. It can lead to stalking and other behaviors. It leaves deep emotional scars and trust issues. Neither one is something to wish upon anyone. And neither one is ever really going to go away. It would be nice if they did, but I don't expect them to.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...