Saturday, June 18, 2011

Just say no to drugs

I hate taking medication. I really do. I think one's body is a machine that should be able to run with out 'help'. I take as few as possible - currently five daily - and I consider that way to high. I do keep doses as low as possible and refuse additional ones unless needed. I do admit to taking antibiotics recently for a toe nail infection.

I don't understand the people who go to doctors wanting more drugs or treatments. But apparently they exist. I think of these people as the one's who will end up robbing a pharmacy for their Oxycontin or something... Michael Jackson is an example. He had insomnia and had his own personal doctors travel with him to keep him supplied. That's a bit over the top.

I recently had a conversation with my therapist. She had switched me to a new anti-depressant and after a month when I seemed to be doing okay, she said she would double my dose. I asked her why and she said that is normal protocol. Well, maybe its normal but not for me. I told her I did not want to and we had a small disagreement. Finally we left it as I would keep the original dose and call her if I felt it needed to be increased.

I don't understand this. If I could skip the drugs I take, I would. I am on anti inflammatories and pain meds for my back. I take synthetic thyroid medication as I don't have a thyroid. I take an aromatase inhibitor to prevent breast cancer return. I take an antidepressant. I also have back up meds for more pain if needed.

I am not trying to fund the pharmaceutical industry but sometimes I seem if I am. My response if offered additional prescriptions is do I really need this and why? A friend calls it 'better living through chemistry' and while I do see some value in that, what if there was a world where I didn't have to take anything? I could just say no to drugs.

1 comment:

Dee said...

I totally agree with you. My surgeon and his nurse marvel that I turn down pain meds and dilaudid and only want Tylanol. They say most of their patients want the pain meds. But I don't like how they make me feel.

At the moment, in addition to Tylenol and herbs and supplements, I have to take an anti-seizure medication and Tykerb - both of which have diarrhea as a side effect. I hate it. But both are needed. I also get Herceptin and Zometa as IV infusions, but I don't get side effects with either of those.

Oh, I forgot. My sleep is so disrupted that I sometimes take Ambien. I didn't last night and subsequently didn't sleep well and have been tired all day. Grr.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...