Saturday, June 4, 2011

Well, Whoop Di Doo

I found this article a couple of days ago about new targeted drugs for cancer treatment. My first thought well this is new and exciting and provides great promise for the future. Yes, its for smaller groups but as we know cancer is not one disease but hundreds of different diseases this actually makes sense.

But then my more cynical side shows up and says 'where is the damn cure?' Maybe I'm tired and not getting enough sleep. Maybe I'm cranky - ask my co-worker yesterday who I finally snapped at (he says he can piss off the pope so it was not a big deal) - maybe I'm stressed. Maybe it was the news that a good friend's husband's colon cancer has returned as well as the news that one of my husband's cousin's cancer has returned as well.

Also, this story about a dog who can detect cancer doesn't do anything for my mental state.

Life with cancer is a roller coaster. You get it, they treat it, you worry about it coming back because they haven't figured out a way to prevent that.

But I was optimistic for a few days. I am sure my optimism will return but not this week. So in the meantime my opinion of advances in cancer treatment that are anything short of a cure are 'whoop di doo'.

2 comments:

Charmine's Hope said...

That's funny Caroline. I think I can understand where you are coming from. It didn't work the first time around, so what should make me think that it will work now? I have too much life to live at my advanced stage, and I can't spend it all worrying and wondering about a cure...otherwise I will miss all the good stuff that I do still have!

Cansirboi said...

LIfe with cancer is a roller coater indeed. The disease shrinking and growing, mental state, fatigue, and it goes on and on. But the good news is that I like roller coasters!

Keep plugging along and happy birthday to your blog!

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...