Monday, May 18, 2015

All those "Don'ts"

Normal people (I assume because I haven't been normal in a really long time - at least physically, mentally may be another story) go to the doctor or dentist and get all sorts of advice. Floss, brush, eat healthy, blah, blah, blah.

Me I go to the doctor or dentist or other medical professional and get a list of don'ts.
  • Don't lift anything over 15 lbs. (For the rest of your life)
  • Don't twist your back (Ditto)
  • Don't use a treadmill (Ditto again)
  • Don't drink alcohol (because of your meds)
  • Don't stop exercising (because you may never be able to start again)
  • Don't rake, shovel, vacuum, sweep, or anything like that.
  • Don't forget your eye drops twice a day or more often
  • Don't forget your dry mouth rinse
  • Don't forget your special tooth paste
  • Don't forget your new prescriptions
And I'm sure there are more but its too early in the day for my brain to work correctly. These are followed by the lovely tips such as 'eat healthy', 'get plenty of rest', 'take care of yourself', 'floss' (because what dentist hasn't told you to floss), and 'here are some more tests for you'....
I just get frustrated by the limitations in my life. Why can't I just be normal and do all the things I want to do. Museums would be nice but that involves long walks and standing around. Two things I don't do well. And before you suggest it, I'm not ready for a wheelchair anytime soon. I like walking on the beach but now am limited to packed sand at low tide. And I can't go as far as I would like.

They say a cancer diagnosis leads to PTSD and depression often accompanies an RA diagnosis. So how's my mood? I have drugs for that. And therapy. And a lot of frustration.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...