Wednesday, February 17, 2016

The 'cancer' spotlight

A woman wrote about random acts of kindness by strangers due to cancer recently in Cure Magazine online. Sorry I'm not interested. Unless you are sitting in the waiting room of the chemo infusion area with a similar look, don't bug me.

Okay, this just irritates me. You know when you were walking around with that chemo pallor with a hat or wig on and feel like crap and someone you don't know from a hole in the wall comes up and gives you unwanted advice or just tries to be extra nice. Its one thing to have someone open the door for you but another completely to want to talk or share their 'cancer' story. Or the treatment their second cousin's neighbor's dog walker's uncle's cancer treatment that you should try. Or that they died.

The biggest thing for me when I was in treatment was that I wanted to be treated like a regular person. Not a cancer person. I was not interested in broadcasting my ailments to anyone else. Or to be on the receiving end of unwanted information.

Call me grumpy but I never liked the spotlight.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

If that's being grumpy, I'm a grump right along with you! Maybe it's that famous New England "reserve" but it would drive me up a wall to have random strangers treating me like some rare, mythical cancer being everywhere I go.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...