As a result of my lovely cancer and other medical adventures, I have gained weight and now weigh more than I have ever in my life. I have tried to eat healthy, blah, blah, blah, and it hasn't worked so I broke down and went to a dietitian yesterday for some help. She looked at my medical history and the list of medications I am on and said it will be very difficult for me to lose weight. Ever. Why?
- Because three of the medications I am on cause weight gain. I asked why they cause weight gain and she said they don't really know - whether they interfere with how food is digested or what.
- Because I don't have a thyroid so they can't really help me increase my metabolism to help lose weight.
- Because of my back, ankle, and arm issues, increasing workouts is not advisable with out help from a physical therapist.
- Because other issues in my medical history make it difficult to lose weight including menopause (thank you chemotherapy for that one).
- And, when/if I have ankle surgery and am in a boot/cast for three months, I can hope to only maintain and not really continue to lose any weight.
Which by the way, if I maintain a strict low fat, low calorie diet, I should hope to lose around 0.5 lb/week. That wasn't in the script - she was supposed to say here's a plan that includes yummy foods and will result in a skinnier you in three months.
In the meantime, she said I should take my food journaling online and use sparkpeople.com to track what I eat and see what I am eating. I started this yesterday and learned an interesting fact - its not meals that are doing me in but snacks. No more snacks unless they are fruit and vegetables.
Oh, and this is a permanent lifestyle change, not a short term solution. Bummer.
This is the misunderstood side of my life - how I live with limitations. The other day, I visited my mother who also has RA. We went for a w...
As part of the universal pinkification of October, Good Housekeeping magazine has a section on breast cancer (who knew?). But one thing they...
I haven't been blogging recently because I have been emotionally stressed. It may take me a while longer to get back to it. My father , ...
Often when I am extremely stressed, I find I need to hibernate a bit, and 'lick my wounds' as they say. For the past month, since my...