Friday, March 5, 2010

Weight loss secrets

The other night I attended a support group where a dietitian came in and gave us all sorts of advice on how to lose weight. You know - eat vegetables and fruits, stick to a plant based diet, drink water, exercise, skip fattening snacks, blah, blah, blah. Then she said the magic words, "we try to get a patient's metabolism moving". I said "I don't have a thyroid". Light dawns on me, if I have no thyroid how can I get my metabolism moving. Call me slow but perhaps this is the issue (and it has only taken a few years to figure out). So the result is I have asked my primary care physician for a referral to a dietitian who is affiliated with the endocrine department.

These pesky pounds that won't go away are very frustrating. Its not unusual to gain weight as we age but for me its been exacerbated by medication which causes weight gain and other issues, its a royal pain in the butt so to speak. Anyway so that is my next stop.

Yesterday I got my lovely medical beige compression sleeve. It goes from arm pit to wrist. I was told 'its like wearing a girdle at first. Initially it drives you crazy but then you don't notice it.' I have never been a girdle wearer so I don't have much to compare here but I wasn't overjoyed at the concept. So after wearing it for one day what can I tell you? Its pretty yucky. Its very tight and when I went to the gym and walked on the treadmill it was downright uncomfortable. I was told to wear it from when I get up in the morning, immediately after showering, until going to bed at night, wash it nightly in the sink (this will help soften it). Last night, I got in my PJs early so I could take the damn thing off. I can't wait to take a shower and get dressed this morning.

Today I am off to take my car to get fixed. It failed inspection and it turns out I basically have only done oil changes and checked the brakes for the past four years. So now I am getting the 90,000 mile maintenance at 135,000 miles and a few other assorted things (replacing the original wiring harness for example). I am getting a rental car for the day - which is deducted from the cost of the repair - but after running a few errands, I will work from home and go for a walk. How exciting.

Now I have to motivate to go take a shower so I can put on my lovely sleeve and do all my exercises and eat a healthy breakfast.

1 comment:

Debby said...

Good luck! I'm really actually kind of surprised at how well it's working once I actually made up my mind to just do it.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...