What a lovely old saw. How quaint. How ironic - I don't have my health and RealAge agrees! Annually I make an effort to go into my Real Age account and update my health to see how old they think I am. I am old. Currently I am 16.4 years older than my actual age.
According to RealAge this is why I am old:
- Having a history of breast cancer - hello, I did not request this one.
- Living with cancer - see above
- Worrying too much - see above
- Dealing with heartburn - see above and see one about too many meds that hurt my stomach
- Having depression - ahem, see above. If you had cancer twice, you would be depressed too.
- Taking too many meds - that pesky cancer thing again.
- Not knowing your cholesterol levels - I try to remember this but that pesky cancer thing gets in the way at the doctor's office.
- Having oral hygiene concerns - did I ask for bad gums? No. But I do floss
- Being an ex-smoker for under 5 years - time will fix this one but then I'll be older too
- Driving a small vehicle - big cars use more gas and I'm cheap.
- Facing a lot of stress - see that cancer thing again0
- Not eating enough whole grains - I do I thought. Maybe I'll go cheat and change my answers.
- Needing to review your eating habits - Do they know I sneak in candy at work sometimes?
- Eating too much red meat - we are working on this one.
- Not building flexibility - with back pain, its hard to bend.
- Neglecting your muscles - see note about back pain.
- Having a high BMI - if you can't move without pain you get fat. And there is that stress thing from cancer again.
- Not knowing your resting heart rate - well, sorry! I'll ask but see my reply for cholesterol
- Doing only the bare minimum - see my replies about back pain.
So basically its says I am old, fat and lazy as well as stressed and depressed from cancer. And it didn't even get into a second cancer diagnosis, back issues, sprained ankle, multiple surgeries, and all my other medical crap.Maybe I should go back and take out all the cancer related stuff and see what it tells me then. I'll just pretend I have my health.
Overall I think RealAge is a great tool (and they have CatAge and DogAge too). It is a good way to show you what you need to work on to get in better shape. I recommend it to everyone.
I guess my point is that we need to take care of ourselves to feel better and live longer. I'm trying but I'm not always sure I am going in the right direction.
I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...
So after you get diagnosed with cancer, it seems like everyone you know has cancer because: You have met a lot of other people going throu...
Often when I am extremely stressed, I find I need to hibernate a bit, and 'lick my wounds' as they say. For the past month, since my...
I haven't been blogging recently because I have been emotionally stressed. It may take me a while longer to get back to it. My father , ...