Wednesday, January 19, 2011

So what do you want?

No not at the drive through, but at the end. At the end of life. Do you know what you want? Do you want hospice care, do you want to fight until the bitter end, do you want to take the opportunity to die at home?

No one wants to die but its going to happen to all of us at some point. There is always the possibility we will be hit by a bus tomorrow and that's it. No questions on end of life treatment. Or you can get a terminal diagnosis tomorrow with 4-6 weeks left. So what do you want?

Apparently its not just for you but for your family members. If you have solid plans that are shared with family they do not have to go through the agonizing process. And it has long term effects in less depression in family after the death.

Funerals and deaths are all about those left behind. They may be for the dead but they really are for others still alive. So do your family and friends a favor and tell them what you want.

This is what I want - a do not resuscitate order, no last life extending treatments, I want to be peaceful and die comfortably - either in a hospice or at home. But first I will host my own memorial service - a big bash that I can attend with all my favorite foods (and if you don't like them, tough cookies), live band, dancing, and lots of fun. So in another few decades, look for your invitation to the party of the year. Then you all can figure out what you want to do after I'm gone.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...