Thursday, February 23, 2012

It sounded like a good idea at the time

Just because something sounded like a good idea at the time, doesn't meant in the long run it will be. I am sure we can all think of many of these in our lives - we have all done them and then after said to ourselves 'Doh! What was I thinking?'

Here is a prime example, and explains something to me that I never understood (I'm claiming chemo brain here as I think everyone else probably already knew this): Where did MRSA come from? As we should know MRSA is a nasty anbiobiotic resistant form of staph infection that can easily be fatal. It started in humans and was treatable but now can kill us off:

"The strain, Staphylococcus aureus CC398 started in humans and was still treatable with antibiotics, said Lance Price, director of the Center for Food Microbiology and Environmental Health Translational Genomics Research Institute in Arizona.

It  spread to livestock, which are usually pumped with antibiotics, to keep them healthy. “The lineage appears to have undergone a rapid radiation in conjunction with the jump from humans to livestock, where it subsequently acquired tetracycline and methicillin resistance,” according to the study.

Methicillin and tetracycline are among the most common antibiotics used to treat staph infections.

The problem is in the way animals are raised and pumped with antibiotics, said Price, the lead author of the study.  He said that farmers and ranchers give millions of pounds of antibiotics to farm animals to make them grow faster and to prevent - rather than treat - diseases."

Well, doh! If the meat we eat is full of antibiotics its no wonder that the infections have become resistant to it as they are already over exposed. Okay, now I want organic meat. I also don't want antibiotics unless I really need them. Icky poo. Just because it helps farmers grow healthier, fatter beef faster, it doesn't mean there won't be problems done the road for other people. Just another idea which sounded like a good idea at the time.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...