Sunday, March 25, 2012

The health care controversy

Next week the Supreme Court will tackle health care reform, or the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare - or whatever you want to call it. Some people like it, some people hate it. I am relatively impartial. While I like some of the changes - no pre-existing condition exclusions, no more life time caps on benefits, children can remain on parent's health insurance for another three years, more well people scans, and other items. I am also not looking forward paying any more than I already am or having to wait longer for care.

But I have also taken a wait and see approach. I see no need to jump up and down and take a stance that 'it will not work' or 'it must happen the way it is written' because we don't really know how it will work. Already, there is insurance available for those with pre-existing conditions but only 50,000 people have signed up - which is much lower than what was expected.

I do believe the current situation has to change - the insurance companies should not make medical decisions for the patients and just because you get sick  your insurance company should not be able to cut off your benefits. That's like your car insurance company saying because you get in an accident, they can cut you off. Oh, that's right they do that too. Insurance companies should not rule the world.

I recently had a Facebook 'discussion' with someone who is against the proposed changes. She had been told by her child's doctor that it was wrong. She could quote from various right wing online sources that were against the ACA. But could she articulate more? No, quoting from others was about it.

While I welcome dissension and embrace my inner rebel, I believe I need to form my own opinions and don't need to use others' rants to express an opinion. While I cite articles, I use mainstream sources and don't refer to extremist opinions to explain my stance.

If you agree or disagree with anything, please state your own words and have a discussion with me. After more than 30 years with cancer and worrying about not having health insurance or being told I had a pre-existing condition, I welcome change that would allow me and others not to have to worry about life time caps or loss of insurance just because a whim of the industry.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...