Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Yes Virginia, there is an ice cream fairy!

When we got home last night, the ice cream fairy had visited and left us two quarts in the snow bank by the front door! How thoughtful (and sneaky)! I have some suspicions on their true identity as well. As a result I had a very nutritional post surgery meal of pizza, cookies, and ice cream. Today I shall be a bit healthier.

I was at Lahey north yesterday from 930 am - 445 pm. After changing into a Dr Seymour Butz gown, first I got taken to ultra sound where they stuck wires in me so the surgeon knew where to operate. Then after a relaxing three hours, they did the surgery. It went fine. I am in very little pain - make that minor discomfort. However, I have steri strips. I am not sure how long until they begin to itch but just can't wait! Hah!

Anyhow, during that lovely three hour interval (no I am not complaining as the surgeon managed to fit me in at the last minute), I got to read my medical chart on my previous surgeries going back to 1981. It was actually fairly interesting reading as I never knew somethings in there before - or they told me and I simply forgot (I have chemo brain and therefore have a good excuse). At any rate, it was more interesting than reading 1978 National Geographics. Again, the surgeon said I don't think its cancer, blah, blah, blah, but we have to be sure, blah, blah, blah, and it will be about ten days before we have the results, blah, blah, blah, he will be on vacation next week so his office should call me with them, blah, blah, blah.

Now we are back in the wait and see mode. This is the unstressful part. Don't worry about anything! No stress involved! Maybe another nasty diagnosis for you. But don't stress! Grrr! I hate this part.

The most painful part of yesterday was when they put the IV in the back of my hand. The second most painful part was when they stuck needles in me during the ultrasound. I did ask if they would use my port and they said no they don't for surgery. I will have to have a little talk with the oncologist at my appointment in January. One of the advantages of the port is they can use it for IV's, blood tests, and other treatments. Well, none of the other departments in the hospital seem to know that part. Further reasons to have it taken out asap.

Today's plans include being lazy, watching TV, making cookies, and being lazy again. I am not supposed to lift anything over 5 lbs and can't shower until tomorrow (and of course I really feel like I want to take a shower). So I guess I'll just be lazy.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...