Saturday, July 7, 2012

And the world didn't come to the end

So when the Supreme Court upheld the health care reform law (whether its a tax or not is still up for debate) and the world did not come to an end. I know there has been a lot of hate mongering on the topic which is supposedly somehow related  to the president's citizenship to some people.

But now more people will be able to get health insurance. Recently there was of those stupid slide show news stories (because evidently the media thinks we need our news in slide shows and can't read articles) that listed the percent of residents of each state without health insurance. Massachusetts, with its state law, has the lowest rate of 5%. Texas has the highest rate of 25% which I found to be amazing. According to our friend Google, there are 26,403,743 residents of Texas. That means in Texas alone there are 6,600,936 people without insurance. I find that amazing.

I realize some people go with out insurance by choice. While I do not agree with it, I respect their decision. But I am sure that the vast majority of those 6.6 million would like to have insurance and either could not afford it or the insurance companies rejected them for pre-existing conditions or whatever.

Anyway since the world didn't come to an end, I am happy to wait and see what the changes really mean. I also hopes it has a chain reaction effect on the rest of the health care industry. And how the 'poor' insurance companies will have to adapt.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...