Friday, July 27, 2012

Telling your story

I know I have blogged about this before. You are the only one who gets to tell your cancer story. It is your body and your life and the one thing you get to choose is to whom you tell your story and when. This is a big red flag for me.

Recently this became clear. One person was ready to make an announcement with the best of intentions about another person and included their cancer story in it. The person who it was about was not happy about this. They had been purposely keeping their cancer story private because they did not want their employer to know. So the story was rewritten with out the cancer story in it.

Another time one of my neighbors who I don't know very well - just because our paths don't cross - saw me outside and came rushing over and starting asked me if I was doing okay or not obviously referring to cancer. One of my other neighbors must have told them. I don't know what was said but obviously they thought I was dying or something.

No one can tell anyone's cancer (or other icky medical diagnosis) story but the person with the ailment gets the privilege of sharing or not. So everyone else just bite your tongue.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...