Thursday, May 23, 2013

A Workout a Day Keeps The Cancer Cooties Away.

Maybe an apple a day too. When I was in treatment for breast cancer, I would go for a daily walk, every day unless hospitalized. It helped with destressing, medication side effects, and I really liked getting outside and stepping away from the doom and gloom.  No one ever told me not to walk. The nurses and doctors all thought it was great.

Since then I have had to join a gym for dilapidated people where there are physical therapists and all sorts of people to help us do things like stand on one foot without falling over. I'm not kidding. I no longer exercise every day because I can't. I need a day off between working out. But I still go to the gym three times a week and I go for a 90 minute walk once a week with a friend. Apparently I am on the right track here.

There will be an announcement at the upcoming ASCO (American Society of Clinical Oncologists) annual meeting in June about the importance of daily exercise for better cancer outcomes and reducing cancer risk. This annual meeting is always full of good news for us cancer people and I do look forward to reading what is announced.

They had a preview meeting the other day where they announced a few tidbits, one of which was the benefits of daily exercise. They call it "A Workout A Day May Keep Cancer Away" but I like my title better.

Today I will go for my walk with a friend. Tomorrow I will go to the gym. I'm all for keeping the cancer cooties away.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...