Friday, May 3, 2013

The Best New Doctor Reaction Yet

He laughed.

I went to see a physicians assistant in the rheumatology department yesterday about the bump on my arm (not on a log). He was a very nice man and spent some time talking to me.

He said what I have is probably a ganglion cyst and he could stick a needle in it and drain it but it might come back. I said lymphedema arm. He said 'oops, no needle'. I said when I move my thumb around it makes it hurt more, he said I could give you a thumb splint but that would make your arm swell up.

So we left it that I will monitor admire it, and if it does become problematic, I would be referred to a surgeon to see if there was anything else that could be done. On the other hand, sometimes they go away on their own, or disappear and then reappear. But its not arthritis and its not cancer so what they hell, I can stick with it.

Then he asked me how I was doing with the RA. I told him about being allergic to both plaquenil and prednisone. Prednisone is often given to RA patients to give the other treatments a boost to get them started or during a flare to help get it under control. Not for me.

I also said that I can't take the organics like Humira, Enbrel, etc because of my cancer history. And I'm allergic to benadryl and the cillins as well.

He laughed and said 'oh you are a great patient to treat!'. I have multiple ailments, can't take many regular treatments, and have allergies that pop up all the time.

Yes I could see the humor in it. But at least I didn't have to scrape a new doctor off the floor for once upon hearing all my medical history..

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...