Sunday, May 19, 2013

Relay for life honor those who have had cancer

Have you ever looked at the cancer walks/rides/races and thought
  • There is no way I could raise that much money
  • I physically can't do that
  • I think all that pink stuff is just awful
  • Honestly I'm lazy and not up for that
Well there is an option for you. The American Cancer Society's Relay for Life takes place across the country in thousands of cities and towns. I don't think they have much of a minimum donation but ask that people raise about $100 (I could be wrong here but it is a small amount).

If you have had cancer, you can participate by attending and walking an honorary lap and have a delicious meal. And its free. At the very least you get to meet people in your community who are coping with the same things you are.

For anyone, you can fund raise and join a group to walk laps for twenty four hours to honor those with cancer. This is open to anyone. Boy and girl scout troops do it, high school students do it for their community service hours, church groups do it. You don't walk the entire time,  you walk when you can and then take breaks. There is food, snacks, games, prizes, and more.

I used to be involved with the local Relay For Life until my health issues made it impossible for me.

Relay for Life is the American Cancer Society's signature fundraising event. We know what they do and they do use their funds as they claim (with out pink).

To find or join your local Relay visit www.relayforlife.org. Now I am going to donate to two friends who have been participating in Relay for a long time.

[Note I am not pitching for the ACS but think that its a great thing anyone can do.]

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...