Thursday, March 20, 2008

Cancer vs. the common cold

So much is made about finding the cure for both cancer and the common cold but neither has yet been done. Basically about 2 million (I cant remember the real number but its something like that - I'm claiming chemo brain here) Americans are diagnosed with cancer each year but almost every American will suffer from the common cold. Some of us extra lucky ones - get both! Millions of dollars are spent every year treating cancer patients but I think billions are spent every year on cold remedies. (I am not sure how much is spent on treating whininess but have been informed that I am currently suffering from that as well.)

There are some differences between the common cold and cancer. When you have cancer you generally feel okay except when undergoing side effects of a treatment or 'procedure' or if it has spread. A lot of care is given to make sure you don't suffer side effects. You get lots of medical attention and have lots of appointments and tests. Doctors and nurses rush to try different medications for the nausea, etc. You do have to watch out to make sure it doesn't spread so you can live as long as possible.

When you have a cold, you wake up one day and feel like you have been run over by a truck, have a fever, congestion, cough, and achiness. You go to the drug store and pick up the items that will supposedly cover the symptoms but there is no magic cure all. You are told drink lots of fluids, take something for your fever/congestion/cough, and get lots of rest. If you are still sick after 10 days, go to the doctor. So basically you need to feel like crap for 10 days before you there is much modern medicine can do. The cold just needs to 'run its course' and for that duration you feel crappy and might have a tendency to be whiny or crabby... A cold can also turn into something else more fun like a sinus infection, bronchitis, or even pnuemonia which can also be fatal (if you do stupid things like go for walks in the rain while sick - but even I know better than that!).

The question then becomes which is better: cancer with lots of medical care or the common cold with lots of crappiness and being told to wait it out? On one level, cancer even sounds a little better. Okay, these are just rantings of my common cold induced chemo brain.

I am still sick - this is day three. However I think today is the day I will say I am no longer sick and return to the human race. There is only so much couch potatoing (being part of the problem again), resting, and going to bed early one can take. I need to get some exercise - I can't sleep because I haven't gotten any exercise (well maybe because I was running a fever and was up with the chills). We have no food in the house. I have to go to the grocery store. I think I feel up to going to work for a few hours if I survive a short walk and the grocery. I don't have ten days to sit around and get better. I also don't plan on going back to the doctor anytime soon. If I am still sick at my next regular doctor appointment on April 11, I will find out what is wrong with me then.

I do hope I am not as sick as my computer is and that my compter comes back to me relatively soon! They said it could take a week!!!!

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...