Sunday, March 16, 2008

Staying within the lines

Did you know in the UK you can get a parking ticket if you don't park within the lines in the parking lot? Evidently, the person at the library yesterday did not know this as approximately 1/3 of their car was over the line. I think it is safe to say they would have had a ticket in the UK. It was a small car and a relatively empty parking lot. It was early in the day so its not like there was another badly parked car causing their error. Sometimes in life, you shouldn't stay within the lines but other times you really should. Like remembering to take your medication and following the doctor's instructions. Other times, its okay to break the rules - remember what Rosa Parks did?

Anyway, yesterday I went to a wellness event and heard a speech on cancer prevention by someone pretty important at Lahey - can't remember his title but from the Oncology department. Apparently the big issues in cancer prevention are no tobacco use, minimal alcohol, eat a balanced/low fat diet, exercise regularly, and get regular medical screenings. There was nothing startling new with any of this. Basically, you can only reduce your risk of getting cancer. The only potential way to prevent cancer is to start having organs removed so you can't get cancer in them. Medical science is progressing but not there yet. They did say patients who have medical insurance are more likely to go to the doctor and get screening tests. However, even so, many people do not get the screening tests they should. Needless to say, those are the people with higher mortality rates for cancer and other health conditions. This is not an area where it is okay to break the rules. Also, they did not get into issue of those of us who did all the right things but then still get sick. Sigh. More advances needed. Do you ever watch Star Trek and they talk about life in the 21st century on earth before they discovered a cure for cancer? Well, I am still waiting for that moment.

Enough sermonizing for the day. Go to the doctor when you need it! Today I am not going to the doctor. (I don't have to go to the doctor for two more days.) I am going to the new Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston with friends. Unfortunately this is the day of the annual St Patrick's roast and breakfast that is basically next door to the museum. Then the parade is farther away so I hope traffic and parking won't be an issue. I was hoping for an on street free parking space (where I would park between the lines) but perhaps I will end up in a lot (again within the lines). I also am a firm believer that a little bacon and ice cream are very healthy to include in a low fat diet. Probably dark chocolate as well. Perhaps brownies.

Otherwise spring is appearing. We are reaching the season where I drive Walter up the wall - I stop to look at the garden every time we go out. My crocuses, tulips, hyacinths, and day lilies are beginning to appear. Now they just need to flower damnit!

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...