Saturday, March 8, 2008

Its starting

The steri strip itching is starting. They are driving me up a wall. I caught myself scratching them as I woke up this morning. I don't dare pull them off as they are still securely stuck about halfway. The rest is sticking up a little and itching. They are supposed to stay on for ten days. This is day 9. I am going to try to leave them on for a few more days. I hope that the longer they are on the tinier the scar will be - well actually its a double scar. In case you couldn't see the first scar from when they put my port in, they cut right below it to take it out - so a double wide scar! How subtle! (Well I guess the other option would be to reopen the first incision, which would also guarantee a big fat scar.) Also, the first scar never really faded much. I think it might be due to the fact I kept having to put tape on it when I covered my port with numbing cream. Every time I got to chemo, my scar would be bright red. Here's to hoping they eventually fade somewhat. Now I just have to pretend it doesn't itch - think positive thoughts or something - because I can't really put anything on it.

Otherwise, my little crisped areas are healing but are still very sore. I can't itch them either, even though they are healing as that causes open sore spots which are much worse. Can you say 'radiation burns'? Doesn't that sound like something out of a bad science fiction movie? Too bad this whole saga isn't out of some bad science fiction movie instead of my life.

Anyhow, moving on to more pleasant things. First I got a VERY subtle hint this morning from my husband when he handed me my cup of coffee. I said "Is this a hint?" He said "Yes, no whining today, no whining tomorrow". Hmmm... Do I have to do what he says? Or I can just whine to other people? Actually, this isn't very fair. We are going to have our taxes done. I think that is something that requires whining.

Yesterday was a fun filled day. I did make it to the Lahey pharmacy before my psychiatrist appointment. And, in the words of a friend, I must be doing something right as they didn't commit me. I also made it to get a manicure. After a long period of indecision, I settled for a dark pink. It in no way resembles the fuschia I previously had but photographs pretty much the same so I won't bore you with a picture. I also got some volunteer work done yesterday and am trying to reschedule my job interview.

Today, after learning that a digital camera does not work if left on for over a week and after taxes, I am going out for coffee with friends. (I may need a stiff drink after the taxes part but coffee will have to do.) Then we are going out to dinner to celebrate my mother's birthday. She wants to go have Peking duck and I certainly am not protesting as it is quite yummy. I really think my life is boiled down to food, doctor appointments, and taking care of the cat and husband.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...