Sunday, January 31, 2010

How am I supposed to feel?

I am not sure. I am reading the side effects on my prescriptions:

Daily med #1: just has directions - take in morning and take on an empty stomach.
Daily med #2: that I take at the same time as med #1 also just has directions. Do not take this medicine if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Take this medicine with a full glass of water. Take or use this medicine daily as directed. Do not skip doses or discontinue unless directed by your doctor. Take this medicine with a snack or small meal if stomach upset occurs.

Wait... so I can take them together but one on an empty stomach and one with a snack? Do I need to split these up?

Daily med #3: Do not drink alcoholic beverages while taking this medicine. May cause drowsiness, alcohol may intensive this affect. Use care when operating a car or dangerous machinery.
Daily med #4: May cause drowsiness or dizziness. Take this medicine with a snack or small meal if stomach upset occurs. Take this medicine with a full glass of water.
Daily med #5: May cause drowsiness. Alcohol may intensify this effect. Use care when operating a car or dangerous machinery. Do not take other medicines without checking with your pharmacist.

I get it. Don't drink alcohol. Drink lots of water. And now I have something to blame for my inability to parallel park. (12 back and forths yesterday to fit in a tiny little space. Sigh. Someday I will learn.) Also, I had to get special permission from my doctor to take all three of these together. Can you imagine my life if I had to take everything an hour apart? I would be a pill popping mad woman.

In addition, I have more meds. I take these in case of pain, stress, or generally crabbiness.
As needed med #1: May cause drowsiness. Taking this medicine alone or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform hazardous tasks.
As needed med #2: May cause drowsiness. Alcohol may intensive this effect. Use care when operating a car or dangerous machinery. May cause dizziness. Taking more of this medication than recommended may cause serious breathing problems. Obtain medical advice before taking nonprescription drugs. Some may affect the action of this medication.
As needed med #3: May cause drowsiness. Alcohol may intensify this effect. Use care when operating a car or dangerous machinery. May cause dizziness.

Okay, okay. No alcohol. If I am dizzy, I know why.

Then the doctor prescribed a new med but didn't tell me if I am supposed to take it instead of or in addition to what I am already taking. I have a call into the doctors office to find out what the deal is but it: May cause drowsiness or dizziness. Take this medicine with a snack or small meal if stomach upset occurs. Take this medicine with a full glass of water. But it just means drink more water and be dizzy.

So when I have all these potential causes of dizziness in me, should I feel concerned if I feel dizzy or is it just all the side effects? What about if my stomach is feeling a bit cranky? Did I skip a needed snack or take something not on an empty stomach or need another glass of water or is it really having problems? The drowsy one is easy. I just take a nap or go to bed early. I am perfectly happy to have an excuse for the parallel parking thing but what about the other issues? If I ask a doctor, they just blame one of the meds. Grr.

I think I'll just put all the bottles back on my bedside table and read the Sunday paper instead. But wait, its time to take some more meds first.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are supposed to feel at one with the universe but you might need a different kind of drug...? Here's your horoscope (if you live in Minnesota anyway). VIRGO (Aug. 23-Sept. 22). Investigate support groups. Not because you need anything in particular, but because you deserve to be cared for and listened to in the manner you so generously provide for others.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...