Thursday, January 28, 2010

The value of pets


And I don't mean the medical kind. Apparently it took a study to realize that people grow closer to their pets during an illness. I know during chemo, the cat spent hours sitting with me as I zoned out in front of the TV, cuddling up. At the time, I thought it was just nice of him. But in reality, he was waiting to be fed.

Over the past few years, we have endured his medical ups and downs. He had diabetes and has now reverted for some unknown reason and is off insulin. But his weight keeps dropping. He is down to 13 lbs from a start of 19. He should be about 15-16 lbs. You may think this is fat for a cat but he is very tall and used to be able to reach his paws up to the kitchen counter from the floor. Currently his preference is to drink water out of the bathtub while it is running (but he wishes there was a way to do this and not get his feet wet).

Tomorrow, we have to take him to the vet for a fasting blood test. This means we do not expect much sleep tonight. He is used to having food around at all times. If the blood test results are inconclusive, he will need an ultrasound to look for a mass or something in his pancreas. We know what the word 'mass' means. Cats aren't supposed to go on the cancer roller coaster too. I may be jumping ahead but he keeps losing weight and is some what of a medical mystery to the vet. Sigh. I hate medical mysteries.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...