Friday, April 30, 2010
Adventures in travel
We went up to Montreal for a few days. We stayed in a great hotel and had a good time - except the day it snowed and we opted to explore underground Montreal instead which is like a giant shopping mall. We did have a few adventures:
- the botanical gardens are not very good the day after a snow storm.
- it is impossible to avoid hordes of students on field trips at museums if you go on a weekday.
- if you want to eat dinner outside under a tent, it is wise to do it before the snow storm.
- we managed to sit and admire the Notre Dame cathedral for an hour - and listen to some great music - by attending the Sunday mass which had a choir and organ.
- if one wants to be able to use one's bathrobe, it is important to bring your bathrobe belt.
- just because you are in a foreign country, it doesn't mean your back won't hurt.
- it is important to remember to bring everything home that you left with - we are searching for some things.
- it is difficult to con your spouse into eating weird food if he is paying attention.
- cell phones work on the highway for a nanosecond and then you have no bars and your calls get cut off so people may think you are being rude.
- it is possible to get great deals on somethings even when the exchange rate isn't very good.
Otherwise it was a great time. We shall go back.
You may know I live outside Boston, MA. We had two 'little' snow storms in a row. The news is that we lost power from 10pm Wednesday...
As part of the universal pinkification of October, Good Housekeeping magazine has a section on breast cancer (who knew?). But one thing they...
About a year ago, I met a young woman who had had cancer since age 18 when she was diagnosed with an inherited pancreatic cancer. She had ne...
I often wonder in cancer treatment, which is worse - treatment or complications? I think complications win that one. To me complications mea...