Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Its none of their business

I always read the advice columns and sometimes snicker, sometimes agree, sometimes disagree. Today's Ask Amy column was about dealing with stupid ignorant people idiots when your spouse has a Stage IV cancer diagnosis.

The woman writing in was trying to cope with the clueless questions. It never ceases to amaze me on what people ask someone regarding their or another family member's cancer. Really? Did you need to ask if he was going to make it? Or if he has a will? Really?

When faced with a situation with someone with a precarious medical condition, before you open your mouth (and put your foot into it) stop and think about what you were going to say. Is it really appropriate? How would you respond if someone asked you that? Is it any of your business? What are you going to do with that little tidbit of information if they even give you an answer?

On the other hand, if you are the cancer patient or spouse of one, you may also be a bit overly sensitive to the questions. I know I was. I perfected the topic avoidance mode where basically I did not want to discuss it. And it was none of their business so I didn't feel I should discuss it. Ask me a nosy question and I'll tell you how my cat is doing. (He's fine, getting a little slower as he nears his 18th birthday.)


No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...