Monday, February 10, 2014

Who reads your blog?

This is a real question. I started writing my blog to keep my family and friends up on my cancer adventures in 2007-2008. Very few of them every read it. I know my mother reads my blog. An old family friend who lives in France reads my blog. The rest of my family to the best of my knkowledge does not read my blog.

My husband does not read my blog unless I prod him but his point is that he is living it so I give him a lot of slack on that.He usually knows more about me than my blog does.

Of my closest friends, one who lives far away, reads my blog regularly. I have one good friend who lives locally who reads my blog regularly. Most of the ones who live closer do not read my blog. Its not like I talk to them any more often than I talk to the one who lives far away.Every so often, I find out that someone else I know reads my blog. Some facebook friends read my blog too.

I'm not complaining. I'm analyzing and thinking - even though its early in the day.

My intention was to have friends and family read my blog so I wouldn't have to write emails or answer calls on my on going cancer adventures. That did not work out.

My daily writing has helped me developed a coping mechanism where I am journaling my life experience through on going medical disasters. Since its not my friends and family who read my blog for the most part, it is my impression that the other readers consist of other bloggers, cancer friends who I have met online and complete strangers.

At first I was a little bit frustrated by the fact that my intention not to have to call and email people updates didn't work. But now I really do not care. If they say they are my friend and don't bother to ask me about my health and they know I have issues. Are they my friend?

For most people who breeze in to my life and call me up and ask how I am doing, I give them a vague answer because honestly its too complicated to answer a single question. What part do they want to know about - my latest developments, my RA progression, my fibromyalgia stability, my last blood work, my upcoming tests? Its not a one sentence reply.

So the people I had hoped read my blog do not. There are  many people who read my blog and give me feed back. Sometimes posts get picked up here and there and more people read them. But that's okay. So who reads  your blog?

3 comments:

helen said...

I read your blog! I check it daily, and I'm always interested in what you have to say. thank you for doing it. My grandson died a few months ago from cancer, so I started reading cancer blogs to understand more, since he was only 2 and a half. He couldn't tell me stuff, but i feel closer when I read blogs about what cancer patients are going through. I wish you the best of luck in all you do, and I think maybe there are lots of secret admirers of yours scattered here and there! Much love and health to you.

Kathryn said...

I read it! I started reading your blog when I was first diagnosed with BC and I come back from time to time. I appreciate your consistency in blogging (not my own strong point!)--thank you for keeping up with the blog!

Pam Scott said...

Hi Caroline, I read your blog usually at night when I can't sleep! I was diagnosed with DCIS in Aug. 2010, had a lumpectomy, then pathology came back PLCIS so radiation was cancelled. I only have yearly follow-ups now, but I still think about it all the time. Anyway, I read lots of blogs to see how others are doing. I hope things are going well with you. Thanks for writing about your breast cancer experiences.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...