Wednesday, March 30, 2016

About That Positive Attitude

Having a positive attitude with a bad diagnosis can be like putting lipstick on a pig.

The pinkification of breast cancer includes that perky little attitude with perfect make up and a big smile. Sorry but some days I just don't feel that way. I read this article about how the positive attitude requirement of breast cancer or other icky diagnosis can lead to a feeling of guilt. Um, yup.

Cancer (and other icky diseases) bring a whole range of emotions and some days, especially during chemo, a positive attitude can be fleeting. Or just not there if you are working on keeping your lunch down again. And after treatment its the same thing. And, as I said, its not just with cancer, but any crappy diagnosis, a positive attitude doesn't always happen.

I can tell you that my positive attitude can be virtually non-existent many days. Sometimes people ask me how do I do it. I think what are they talking about? I am just going through my life and putting one (aching) foot in front of the other (aching foot). Please don't tell me you are amazed by that. I'm not amazed. I'm just getting through my day.

The ever knowing 'them' tell us to keep our positive attitude. It will help us get through treatment better, prevent depression, and make us better people. Well, lah-di-dah, I try but I'm not going all out.

And if I am so happy and perky, what happens when I lose a friend or my next scan isn't as hoped? I'm not going to be so perky am I? And maybe I'm not going to be so happy. I might even feel a little guilt about my lost friend. And more guilt about a bad scan. What did I do wrong? Why did this happen to my friend?

That so-called required positive attitude can be a pain in the butt. I know it takes drugs and therapy to get through life sometimes.

1 comment:

best online pharmacy in USA said...

What you feel inside reflects on your face. So be happy and positive all the time.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...