Sunday, May 8, 2016

More Thoughts On Clinical Trials

Clinical trials are a very important part of medical research and drug development. But they are not as safe as you may think.

This week's Parade Magazine showed up in my Sunday paper as usual. The front page was covered with a picture and headline on a cancer 'miracle cure' for cancer.  The article goes on for multiple pages and  tells the story of a woman who was close to death when she found a clinical trial that saved her.

She was one of the lucky ones. She found a great clinical trial and it saved her. But the magazine also notes:

"...clinical trials can be risky. According to Center Watch, a research-information firm, about 1 in 30 participants in drug trials suffers a serious side effect and 1 in 10,000 dies." 

However you do get free treatment and additional medical supervision. 

I cannot overstate the benefits to clinical trials. No one wants me in a clinical trial because I have too many health issues. But I am sure there are many other healthier people out there who could and should participate in clinical trials. So go find one here.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...