Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Pre-Op Day

Today is pre-op day. Tomorrow I am having minor arthroscopic knee surgery. Its no big deal. An in and out procedure that should last an hour or so. Nothing significant. It is to repair my right knee which has been locking up for the last year or so.

What it does mean is that I am going to be limited in my abilities to get around for the next week or so. I do not plan on using crutches because I hate them (and I have lymphedema). I really hate crutches. We live in a raised ranch and I bought a can so I should be able to maneuver around the one floor by myself.

My husband has taken tomorrow and Friday off and then will be home for the three day weekend. This means five days of togetherness. (I think I need to come up with things for him to do so he doesn't 'hover' and drive me crazy.) It is great that he will be home with me because I know I will need some help. Its hard to carry things while using a cane.

I went to the library yesterday and got a stack of books and a movie "Hidden Figures" that I have wanted to see. I have also been filling the DVR with shows to catch up on. I have plenty of knitting to do as well. I did laundry and just have the socks left to sort before I am done.

I am going to the grocery store today and am going to get a chicken to roast for dinner tonight so we can eat leftovers for the next few days. I think I am organized.

This is surgery number 9 for me so I have been through it before. Not including multiple medical misadventures. I know what to expect for the most part. I know what I want to tell the anesthesiologist for which anesthesia did okay for me and which did not. I have figured out what to wear tomorrow - shorts so its easy to get dressed post surgery.

I have found that being organized is the most important thing when you are going to be laid up for a few days. I hate being dependent on anyone for anything. I have everything I need. I can always send my husband out for things we forgot or we can get food delivered (if we get bored with leftover roast chicken).

The one thing I do need to do today is to find out what time I need to be there. They are supposed to call me today with that information as well as the 'do not eat after midnight, no water two hours prior, etc'.

I hope for an early time so I can get it over with. The worst is sitting around waiting for your surgery time and being starving because you can't eat. 

1 comment:

Judy Mintz said...

You are so on top of it. Just another day in the life of an experienced medical consumer. Heal fast.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...