Saturday, September 20, 2008

A day of fun and games

Yesterday we went to Lahey at 845 am for approximately 4 to 6 hours, we were told. We left at 520 pm. Walter went home and the surgeon called him when done. Then he came back over around 330 - just in time for me to take a nap. Basically, the surgery went as planned, four laproscopic incisions (and a big bruise and a little seepage) and I was back in recovery a little after 11. Then the pain started, so they gave me meds and more meds. Then we tried drinking a little water and the nausea started. Then they gave me more meds. Then I sat up and the room spun. They gave me more meds. Then I got to eat a little crackers (try eating saltines when you had a tube down your throat and can't drink water because you are nauseous) and get some other meds. That was so much fun. I can't wait to do it again.

I did have some toast, applesauce and a banana when I got home and they stayed put. I fell asleep around 8 and only woke up every time the pain meds wore off. However today I am sitting up and feeling okay. I had breakfast and am not doing anything constructive today.

Actually I have one constructive thing to do today - expand my medical vocabulary. Yesterday between pain and nausea, I got to read all the latest consultation reports in my hospital file. They gave me a copy to take home - which is a good thing because it was full of big words that I need to decipher. Some words are easy - hepatic (means kidney something) but what does steatosis or cholelithiasis mean? My skin is anicteric? Hmmm.. sounds weird but I bet it means I have pale, sensitive skin. I will educate myself today and take lots of notes.

Otherwise, herbal tea and lots of tv are my day. Maybe I'll even read my book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

anicteric= not jantice, meaning healthy skin...glad to hear you are doing ok.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...