Thursday, September 4, 2008

Poor parenting in action

It always kills me to see or hear poor parenting because then the children grow up to be stupid insensitive people. Last weekend we went to a local diner for breakfast. The table behind us had a woman and her three children maybe 5, 6, and 7 with her. She ordered four plain Belgian waffles. The first one arrived and she said 'where's the fruit?'.

Waitress: 'You said plain waffles. I can bring the fruit on the side. The other waffles will be out.'

Mind you the diner was VERY busy at this point. The mother divided teh waffle into four pieces and gave some to each child. The fruit arrives and there was too much so she didn't want fruit with each of the two waffles, only two.

The mother flags down the waitress two minutes later. 'where's the other waffles?'. 'They are coming, we only have one waffle maker and we were very busy.'

The second waffle (with fruit) arrives about five minutes after the first. (Which granted is not the best service but it is a small place so this happens.) The mother asks 'will it take 30 minutes for the next one to show up as well?' The mother divides up the next waffle and they all start eating again.

Then the mother says 'I don't like this place. We'll go some place different tomorrow.' The kids keep eating. Then she says 'I think these waffles taste yucky.' Big surprise, the kids all say 'mine tastes yucky too.' Then the mother flags down the waitress and says we don't want the other waffles.

They started talking about what they were going to do for the day - go into Boston and go up the Prudential tower to see the views of Boston. Their mother informed them that they couldn't go up the Hancock tower (and mind you they were probably too young to even know what the Hancock tower was) because it was closed because of terrorists. 'What's a terrorist?' 'Terrorists are people who blow up buildings.' I thought those children would feel so safe and secure knowing that they weren't going to a building that terrorists might blow up - can you say NIGHTMARE? Let's think of all the other positive things that mother just taught them how to do...

People with insensitive stupid parents grow up to be insensitive stupid people like the stupid preop nurse I dealt with yesterday. 'You are so young to have had all these surgeries.' Hello! What is she thinking? None of this was ELECTIVE surgery. 'How did you get cancer so young?' Gee, I wanted to be special... Stupid nurse. And I waited an hour to see her. And she had a very limp handshake (never trust people with a limp handshake.) Grrr... If I ever have surgery again (any bets on that one?) I will avoid her.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...