Thursday, June 12, 2014

Trapped in the breast cancer bubble

I look at my life these days and see breast cancer everywhere. I have a breast cancer blog, I have breast cancer groups on Facebook. I have breast cancer friends - people who I would never have met if not for my diagnosis. I have Google alerts for breast cancer which send me a daily dose of updates in the breast cancer world. I get emails from many organizations and websites on their latest news and fundraising efforts. I have more profiles on different cancer websites than I can remember that I should keep updated. I volunteer for organizations that support different cancer causes.

Am I supposed to embrace this into my life forever? Or am I supposed to ignore it and focus on my other health issues? Or should I ignore them all?

I was told a breast cancer diagnosis took a year out of your life and then it would return to normal. I can't remember which idiot told me that one but it is definitely not true on so many levels. I am in this bubble and trying to figure a way out.

I realize that breast cancer is one of the top killers of women in the US each year. But is it supposed to take over each of us as we are diagnosed and change our lives forever? Yes a cancer diagnosis is a life changing event but should it become the focus of everything else as well?

My world is not painted pink, its painted breast cancer.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...