I don't have stage IV cancer and some days just getting downstairs is difficult itself. I read somewhere else recently that only 20% of Americans get the recommended 2.5 hours of exercise each week. That's just pitiful. I am determined not to put myself in that category.
I also exercise because it helps me feel better. Really. I may hobble in to the gym but about an hour and 45 minutes later I may hobble out. But in between I get in 45 min - 1 hour of cardio and then another 35 minutes or so of weights followed by 15 minutes of stretching. The benefits to me are huge:
- cardio keeps me moving which is good in more ways than you can image - your body moves so all your body systems do as well.
- I have muscles (they may not be big but they are three) and can pump iron with the best of them with my 1 pound weights (yes they are girly and pink)
- I am flexible, my balance/stability is pretty good, and my muscles are nice and stretchy.
- I have less pain. My core muscles help me support my wimpy back.
- It helps me destress. I come in to the gym stressed and leave relaxed.
But I'll keep going as much as I can.