Friday, February 20, 2015

Breaking in the team

The team of doctors that is. I have a select group of doctors. Some of them were carefully selected by me, the ones I don't like, don't last. When a doctor retires or moves to another medical facility, I ask for references to find ones I like. My latest rule is 'young doctors are better'. This is because they are less likely to retire on me so chances are I am in it for the long haul with them.

Breaking in a new doctor is a pain. They have no idea of my health until they read my file. I am 'fun' to treat. I am finding more and more allergies to medications and I am allergic to the two standards for treating reactions - prednisone and benadryl.

But I digress. At the end of my active breast cancer treatment, I made a point to find a therapist so I wouldn't go succumb to cancer PTSD again. Dr H is a great therapist. We had a lot in common - arthritis and breast cancer. And then she retired! Of all the nerve! Seriously she wanted to do something different with her life and travel more, work less.

She let me know last fall that she was leaving at the end of December. We discussed my options several times. She is still practicing a few Mondays each month but that would only prolong the issue - how much longer will she still practice at all?

So I met with a new therapist in January. That was our 'get to know you' session. We have decided I will try this for a few months and see how it goes. An issue the she brought up that I hadn't even considered is that she is fairly young - maybe early 30s. I didn't really think of that. Maybe its a concern for her. I don't think I am mentally that old. But my medical records belie that.

Today I go see her again. I will see how she handles my issues. If not, I will see about finding another. But I hope we can work things out.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...