Saturday, March 12, 2016

Trauma and Ailments

One of my many ailments is fibromyalgia. How fun. NOT! This is from Web MD.

"Fibromyalgia is a disorder characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain accompanied by fatigue, sleep, memory and mood issues. Researchers believe that fibromyalgia amplifies painful sensations by affecting the way your brain processes pain signals."
Yes, fibromyalgia amplifies pain. It makes life so much fun. I don't get a little twinge, I get ripples of pain across parts of my body.

"Symptoms sometimes begin after a physical trauma, surgery, infection or significant psychological stress. In other cases, symptoms gradually accumulate over time with no single triggering event."

Could a second cancer diagnosis be considered 'a physical trauma, surgery, infection or significant psychological stress'? Do we remember those studies that associate cancer with PTSD? Yes. So is that how I ended up with it and rheumatoid arthritis? RA does run in my family. But no one else has had fibromyalgia.

"Women are much more likely to develop fibromyalgia than are men. Many people who have fibromyalgia also have tension headaches, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders, irritable bowel syndrome, anxiety and depression." 

Depression? From cancer twice? Maybe. And add in my other health crap. And the best part is always the last.

"While there is no cure for fibromyalgia, a variety of medications can help control symptoms. Exercise, relaxation and stress-reduction measures also may help."

So could the trauma of my health disasters pre-2012 have triggered my fibromyalgia? One of those little medical mysteries I need to learn to live with. Along with why I got cancer twice before 50 and why my body then decided to fall apart. I'll work on sucking it up for now because I don't see much choice in the matter.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...