Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Germs and RA

I keep whining about this but its true. Germs and RA do not work well together.  Here's someone else's story:

"When you have RA, the last thing you want to deal with is germs. These germs that are airborne are a recipe for disaster. I want to tell those that refuse to cover their mouth, to please do so.
The last thing I need is to get more sick when it can be prevented. Wash your hands, germs are on door knobs, money and all that we touch. Let’s be mindful in this season of more germs that they easily spread. My desire is to be in great health this winter. I know first hand, dealing with RA and a real bad cold at the same time is miserable. I’ve had times when I couldn’t sleep. My noise was stopped up and a lot of congestion. I was in bed for days. I noticed I was not able to get rid of the cold as quick as I could before I had RA. So let’s not spread germs, because for some illnesses such as RA, it makes for a miserable mix. I know from experience it is not a quick bounce back. It took me about 3 weeks to recover from a very bad cold."

You can see her full story here.

So I am home with a bad cold. Today was the day my family was going to celebrate our family Christmas. My brother was going to come in last night to stay until the weekend. But since I am sick, they did not. 

The last I heard, and I am staying out of the decision making, is that my brother might come in today and stay in a hotel (additional unneeded expense) and my family will celebrate without me tomorrow. They were going to postpone it until MLK weekend but my niece will have gone back to school by then and my other niece has a concert that weekend so it would have to be Presidents Day weekend. 

This is what happens when you get sick with RA. Family events get  postponed and celebrated without us those without colds. Kids miss out on family Christmases. All because I was exposed to a germ ten days ago.

And no I am not feeling any better. I barely slept last night because of my cold. I did get some cold medicine but there are limits to what I can take because of allergies and other medications. 

So again, if you have a cold, stay home and stop exposing everyone.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...