Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Talking About Cancer, Or Not

I have a lot of friends these days who have had cancer. And then I have friends who have not had cancer but sometimes we still talk about cancer or my health. But then I have friends who do not have cancer or any big ailments and don't really know about the disasters of my health so we talk about other things. Like life.

Recently, through the wonders of social media, I reconnected with two old friends from high school who I hadn't seen in decades. I have sort of told them about all my health issues. But definitely not all of them. I have gotten together with one or both of them a few times.

I got together with the one who I was closest too in high school for coffee a few weeks ago. An hour and 45 minutes flew by. We talked about her mother and her siblings. We talked about her daughters. We talked about life in the area - she lives about a mile or so from us.

We decided we need to get together more often and made plans for our next meeting. And we never talked about my health. It was really nice. I need to do that more often.

Further proof there is life outside of cancer crap (and if its cancer, its crap).

It also made me think that I need to do that more often. I need to have conversations that allow me to focus on my life outside of my health.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...