Monday, July 26, 2010

Think before you eat

Someone pointed this article out to me. It makes me pack my own snacks for a professional sports game. If you read it, you will note that in Chicago, where the scores were good, they inspected when the stadiums were closed. Also, in FL where all the stadiums did poorly, apparently the state has stringent inspections. But regardless, I am not sure I want to eat at any of them. It makes me reconsider a lot of restaurants in general.

When we go out to eat, we assume that food is prepared correctly. We assume the basics - the ice machine is clean, they are not using the same knife and cutting board to chop raw chicken and a prepared sandwich. And that the food is cooked and stored correctly. The whole idea of it is EEEWWW!

I do like my own cooking and know that I may not always be up to restaurant food critic standards and am happy eating sushi, I do the basics in sanitation. I use separate cutting boards and knives for meat and vegetables. I cook things until they are done. I don't let food sit out. I do my best but I am also not trying to feed a few thousand people during a 3 hour game. You can see why short cuts are taken.

But then there are concerns about the whole food supply. Just because something is organic doesn't mean it doesn't need to be checked for quality. Think of it this way, if a vegetable is grown organic with cow manure as the fertilizer, wouldn't you want to make sure its really clean before you eat it? Also, what if a pesticide free vegetable has residents - like worms in broccoli or snails in lettuce. Finally, if you buy fruit and vegetables anywhere, how many people have handled them between the farm and your fork? How clean were there hands? Yicky!

Anyway, enough of that for now. Today I will call my doctor and whine a bit more. I woke up in the middle of the night because my hip hurt. I can't stand for more than 10 minutes with out significant hip pain. I did attempt to go to Costco yesterday with my husband and I'll just say its nice that they sell chairs because I tried out some of them. Today's plan is to only take one pain pill at a time so I can get some work done from home and swing by the post office and my office. My plan is to go to my other job tomorrow but that is a 20 mile drive. I am not sure I am up for that yet. I can switch my days if necessary so I'll have to see. I cant even go for a walk yet so I'm not sure I am ready to commit to an 8 hour work day.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...