Saturday, September 11, 2010

A really cool new government tool

If you are like me with a few billion prescriptions around, you occasionally look at one of them and say 'what is this one?' because its in the wrong place - like on the bedside table all by itself. There is the easy way of start opening prescription bottles and comparing it with the contents. Then sometimes a prescription changes - and you are going on the word of the pharmacy that its the same thing....

Well because of morons like me who cant keep organized and mostly for the millions of people who call poison control centers, the NIH and FDA have decided to work together (yes two government entities have joined forces) and develop an online pill identification database.

I checked it out and my big complaint is that the search only narrowed when I put in the imprint... So if you saw your child put a yellow pill in his mouth, you would have a very wide list to sort through unless you knew which bottle it came out of.

But I think its a darn good start - putting the information in the hands of the consumer.

1 comment:

Forty Pound Sack said...

Thank you for your blog. I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, and I'm finding blogs more helpful than all the strictly medical information I've found online. I look forward to going back to the beginning of your journey and reading every word. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...