Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The kitchen vs the institution

We think of a kitchen as a nice place where you can get snacks and make and enjoy healthy meals. We think of an institution, such as a hospital, as a place to get coffee that resembles brown water, powdered eggs with out seasoning, and rubber chicken, all served at room temperature. Well what if these were merged into a hospital which served tasty food, prepared nutritionally?

How is that for a concept? Availability of healthy food in your basic institutional cafeteria? Apparently there is a doctor in Oakland CA who is promoting this to the extent there is an organic only farmers market outside the main entrance to the hospital. The kitchen is beginning to be seen as just as important as the doctor's office in living well. Well that's pretty darn logical.

We see the return of healthy food everywhere, and now the debate is on the 'Frankenfish'. I find this to be just disgusting and don't think I'll be eating it anytime soon. I heard on the radio that this project has been underway since 1990 and that all the new Frankenfish contain some of the original 20 year old fish. And why is the image of a line of out of control robots keep popping into my head???

Well today is farmer's market day and CSA delivery day - by 5 pm there will be an overstock of vegetables in our house.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...